Monday, March 17, 2014

3/17/2014: Oh, To Feel Loved

A really wonderful, heartwarming, energizing experience occurred today.
Sometimes I think my students hate me. They mock my accent, talk during class, have moments of being indisciplinos and not listening. But I kept going because I'm not going to let me them break me.
But today...it all changed. They still mock my accent and talk during class and don't always listen but I know they love me.
After being gone a week because of flooding I walked into the school yard today and within 2 seconds of being spotted a horde of students ran over hugging me and screaming "teacher jess! We thought you left us!!" And I realized they don't act the way they act because they hate me. They act this way because they're kids and they've never had an American teacher. But at the end of the day, I know from personal experience you only get excited when a teacher returns when you love them. And now I know my students love me as much as I love them, and somehow that makes a world of difference.


1 comment:

  1. It's amazing, isn't it? Many students are like this, even back here in America. Although they don't always show it, your students appreciate you more than you know.

    ReplyDelete