Monday, September 22, 2014

9/22/2014: 1 Year and It’s Still a Mystery

Just a short update about some changes happening here in Mozambique...

So I’m almost a year into my Peace Corps service and there have been so many mysteries and unknowns. My service has taken an unexpected turn during this past year and has led to me ending my time in Xinavane in moving on to new places.

I recently had the pleasure of visiting my new site and meeting with the volunteers that I will be replacing. I would be lying if I didn’t say I’m sad to leave my home and a little disappointed to not be able to finish the work I have started here. But in retrospect, I have so much hope and excitement for what my site holds for me.

I will be staying in the same province I’m now, thankfully. So I’ll get to continue my work as REDES coordinator for Gaza/Maputo provinces, which was a priority to me for making this move. I also will be inheriting an EGRA group to work with early age children on their literacy skills.  It’s going to be an adjustment after living in what has been dubbed Chicavane for the past year. My new house won’t have running water and I’ll be more distant from my friends. But I’ll still be close to Maputo and have a higher chance doing the work I came here to do, which is very exciting.


There isn’t much else to say, but I am very excited for this new adventure and I can’t wait to embark on it. Meanwhile, I plan on enjoying my last few weeks with my surrogate family and enjoying the place that has become my home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment